COGA MIG Leader Mentoring Program for DPD 2021 Graduates Who Did Not Match a Dietetic Internship
The Cultures of Gender and Age (COGA) Member Interest Group (MIG) was funded by an Academy Membership Outreach Grant 2021 to conduct its program titled “COGA MIG Leader Mentoring Program for DPD 2021 Graduates Who Did Not Match a Dietetic Internship.” The goal of this virtual program is to provide mentoring by COGA leaders to ten (10) 2021 DPD graduates who did not match a dietetic internship to help equip them to become future service leaders in the Academy at the national, affiliate, and/or district/regional level. Each of the 10 mentees will gain experience volunteering within COGA for 9 months (September 2021–May 2022). The time commitment per mentee is about 5 hours per month (45 hours total). Applicants must complete this survey including the last item which is to write a short essay (150 words or less) on the importance of service leaders in the dietetic profession, and how the applicant will foster service leadership in the Academy at the national, affiliate, and/or district/regional level. Applicants from diverse groups are especially encouraged to apply!
Roles and Responsibilities of Mentees:
Each of the 10 mentees will select from the following 10 interest areas within COGA to create their COGA leader–mentor experience: Past-Chair, Secretary, Treasurer, Nominating/Awards, Professional Development, Diversity/Inclusion, Newsletter, Website, House of Delegates’ Delegate and Networking. Each mentee will rank their top 5 interest areas. COGA will create a schedule to allow each mentee to gain 3 months of mentoring in each of 3 of their top 5 interest areas. Each mentee will be required to:
- attend the COGA Executive Committee monthly virtual meetings (one hour - virtual, currently 6-7pm CT on the 2nd Wednesday of each month),
- post a summary of each 3-month mentoring period to the COGA Discussion Board (3 posts total),
- complete an electronic Leader–Mentor Diary for each month to indicate the interest area, hours completed, activities, and one key point to remember, and
- submit their Leader–Mentor Diary by June 1, 2022.
How will this mentoring program benefit you?
Each mentee will
- have their Academy membership dues paid (or reimbursed) for one year and COGA MIG membership dues paid (or reimbursed) for one year;
- obtain inclusive connections in COGA;
- meet and network with dietetic professionals across gender, age, and lived experience;
- receive professional leadership mentoring - an impressive 45 hour experience to include on future dietetic internship/scholarship applications.
DEADLINE EXTENDED: Thursday, August 5, 2021. Applicants will be notified by email no later than August 23, 2021.
Mentees must agree to the roles and responsibilities described previously, and to have their names and headshot photos shared, for example, in the COGA e-newsletter, COGA social media, and COGA website, and with the Academy (for payment of student dues).
CLICK HERE TO COMPLETE APPLICATION